|On the Road|
March 17, 2012
"On the Road" is the final episode of Season 2 of Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Bitty Adventures.
The episode begins as Strawberry is practicing a song with the girls and singing with Cherry. Berrykins watch their performance as the girls soon reach the end of the song, complimenting themselves and the good job they did. Inspired by this, they decide to start up a band and discuss names, until Cherry thinks up the name "Strawberry and the Sweet Beats". Strawberry suggests that Cherry should lead the band since she's famous, but Cherry tells her she's had enough of the lime light, going on to recall that Berry Big City needs a band for the opening ceremony and they called her about it. Instead of accepting, Cherry suggested their own band and sent them a tape- with quick approval from the ceremony staff. The Berry girls are delighted to hear this, but when Cherry tells them that they are going the next day, Plum, Lemon, Raspberry, and Blueberry run away in a panic to hurry up and get ready.Berrykin Bruce to get it checked. She asks him to secretly put in something by tomorrow and he begins to panic at the small time frame provided.
Meanwhile at Strawberry's Cafe, Strawberry is busy baking a mulberry pie when Berrykin Bloom comes in to ask for a slice. He notices she is packing and she informs him that she will be going to the Berry Big City for a small trip.
As this is going on, Orange sadly packs her own things when three baby berrykin come in and ask what she's doing. She tells them they're leaving for a while when the berrykin ask how they will manage without the girls, Orange suddenly realizes this and contacts the others. Strawberry suggests that they all ask some capable Berrykin to take their places until they return and everyone agrees.
And so, Lemon is telling Berrykin Bill how to work the Salon, such as setting magazines, scent sticks, and so forth when she suddenly sees him put too much mud onto a ladybug customer. She points out how much practice he will need and attempts to correct this. Strawberry practices with two berrykin preparing and serving a tossed salad, but they forget the plate. Meanwhile, Raspberry sees the dress the berrykin she hired had made and attempts to find the proper words to describe it.
Soon the berrykin seem to be getting it and everybody is a lot happier knowing their jobs will be okay while they are gone; except for Orange, who seems annoyed. She tells Strawberry that she won't be able to leave since the Berrykin she got seem so "incompetent", and Strawberry tells Orange that they need here, so she can't stay behind. She then suggest that she shows the berrykin how to do work, instead of how to organize the store. Things seem to improve, but Orange is still upset.
Later the bus shows up and Strawberry is very happy to see that the bus was modified to fit their band. Cherry thanks Berrykin Bruce for the tune up and all of the girls celebrate. However, they are stuck still waiting for Orange, who hasn't shown up, even after an hour passes. They soon spot her with tons of equipment, but Strawberry is quick to point out the lack of room for all of it. They look over everything she brought and notice that they aren't even all that important, but with it going on sunset they decide to pack it anyway so that they can get going.In this time the Berrykin get to work. They all do a good job and soon it's storytime, with Berrykin Bloom telling a story to a bunch of Baby Berrykin involving nursery rhymes- which they reject. They give him a book about the "Slinking Slinker" and Berrykin Bloom tells them it sounds frightening. But they tell him to read it anyway and Berrykin Bloom soon grows flustered. He tries to convince them otherwise, but they don't listen and he keeps reading. That night, the girls are still traveling and they notice Orange seems upset when suddenly she tells them to stop the bus. She suddenly remembers that she forgot to grab tea, but Plum points out they can just grab some along the way. Orange refuses, stating that it was a special blend and they can't just buy it, and when Strawberry mentions that because they have time to go back and grab it they decide to just do that.
Meanwhile, Berrykin Bloom is still reading and he just manages to finish the book as the Berrykin ask him to read it again. Unfortunately, he will not do it and they sadly leave the bookstore.
On his way home, Berrykin Bloom is suddenly frightened by Berrykin Bill. Berrykin Bloom says that the creature from the scary story is everywhere, and because it's in a science book (most-likely a joke from the baby berrykin) it has to be real. Both berrykins begin to panic as the bus comes to a stop nearby. They quickly make their way to Orange Mart as the berrykin begin to hear odd noises, only to be quickly silenced by Princess Berrykin, who believes they shouldn't alarm the entire city.
As the girls get the tea they make their way back to the bus when Orange suddenly comes up with yet another excuse and they are forced to turn around again.
The berrykin have come up with a plan in this time. They will capture the monster, and sure of themselves, they show Princess Berrykin how their trap will work. They drag the tricky trap in question to the right spot and all of them hide as the girls return. Strawberry tells her friends that due to how late it is, they need to be really quiet as Orange spots the trip wire they set up. Thinking the Berrykins put it there and forgot to take it, she pulls the trip wire and accidentally causes the group to get caught.
Hearing that they caught the creature, the four Berrykins run out and stare out of surprise to see they only caught Strawberry and company. They ask why they returned and inform them that they were protecting the city from the Slinking Slinker. Blueberry informs them that it's just a story, not real. Strawberry apologizes for scaring them and Princess Berrykin suspiciously asks if they were trusted. Strawberry is quick to explain that this isn't the case however, and she clears things over with them.
It's then Orange apologizes and tells them she was afraid of leaving the city. Plum then asks if she'll be able to sing and dress up with them as Strawberry manages to convince her that they won't be gone too long. With that in mind Berrykin Bloom runs off and returns with a snow globe - a reminder of home so that Orange won't be homesick while she's gone. She thanks everybody and they go to leave again as Strawberry tells her they can just practice on the way there since it's so late now and the girls drive off into the night.
- Orange: (yelling) STOP THE BUS!!!
- Cherry: What Now?
- Baby berrykins: Story time, story time, story time!
- Berrykin Bloom: Have a seat, little ones, and we shall begin. (takes a book) Here's a nice book of nursery rhymes that I...
- Baby berrykins: No! Not that one!
- Red baby berrykin (takes another book and gives it to Berrykin Bloom): Read this one!
- Orange baby Berrykin: It's a lot better!
- Berrykin Bloom (becomes scared to see the frightening image on the book cover): Really? Well... eh... the case of the Slinking... Slinking Slinker. Oh, my! That sounds a bit... ehm... frightening.
- Purple baby Berrykin: But it's science!
- Berrykin Bloom: Well then: "Once upon a time there was a Slinking Slinker who... who..." oh dear! Well, eh, are we sure we wouldn't rather hear these quite charming little nursery rhymes?
- Baby Berrykins: Slinking Slinker, Slinking Slinker!
- Berrykin Bloom: "...a Slinking Slinker who had... long sharp glistening teeth... and a growl as loud as a foghorn... oh... sounds dreadful..."
- Berrykin Bloom (finishes reading the story): "...and the Slinking Slinker slinked into the night, and nobody ever knew what happened to him". And that's all, the end.
- Baby Berrykins: Yay! Read it again! Read it again!
- Berrykin Bloom: No, no, no. It's past by.. er... past your bed time. Come along now, come along.
- (disappointed, the baby Berrykins leave the store)
- Berrykin Bloom: Up you go. Get to bed. Pleasant dreams. He... don't think about... (looks fearfully at the scary book) ....about that awful Slinking Slinker.
Once again Berrykin Bloom learns that we shouldn't believe everything we read, especially when it's children making up claims that it is a science book when he could have just looked for himself to see that it was not.
Orange learns that sometimes we have to be away from home, but that there are ways to handle it and overcome being homesick.
- It took the girls five tries to determine a name for their band. They were:
- Strawberry and the Berryettes
- Strawberry and the Berry Berries
- Strawberry and the Sweetie Sweets
- Strawberry and the Berry Beats
- Strawberry and the Sweet Beats
- Berrykin Bloom's fear of the Slinking Slinker is similar to Orange's fear of the Galumphalot ("Nothing to Fear but Berries Themselves"): the frightening thing is a character from one of Blueberry's books; particular noises at night makes Berrykin Bloom think that it roams nearby; his fear catches others; a trap is set to catch the Slinking Slinker, but someone else gets caught; eventually Berrykin Bloom is convinced there is no such thing.
- It is the second episode, following "Trading Sizes", that the Berrykins replace the Berry girls in their work places.
- It would be unlikely that a Berrykin could actually drive a large vehicle, due to how small they are. Despite that Berrykin Bruce was able to drive the bus just fine.
- Orange noticed the tripwire easily, but in most cases the person using it would have tried to conceal it.