|No Blueberry is an Island|
Jan 28, 2012
"No Blueberry is an Island" is an episode of Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Bitty Adventures.
Blueberry thinks Strawberry is planning a tropical getaway, and shares this news with their friends. But when she finds out she misunderstood what Strawberry was doing, she tries to cover it up to avoid disappointing the others.
Lemon is busy giving many Ladybug makeovers and chatting one day, talking with the others. All of the berry girls appear to be doing their own things, such as Orange working at her store, while Plum and Cherry are playing music.
Meanwhile, Blueberry is carrying a stack of books when she stops, hearing Strawberry. Excitedly, she drops the books, only to panic when Strawberry comes outside to check on her. Blueberry assures her that there isn't any problem before running off to Raspberry's boutique. Curious, Raspberry asks Blueberry why she is looking through Swimsuits when summer is almost over and asks if she is planning a swim party, but Blueberry quickly claims not to have any need for swimsuits, she was just looking. With that Raspberry asks her to lend a hand while she prepares her fall fashions, and in the middle of it, Blueberry reveals what she heard to Raspberry after making her promise to not tell anyone.
The girls go to Lemon's Salon to ask for some summer colors for their makeovers and over time, word spreads to everybody and they decide to hold a meeting. Blueberry tells the others they should pretend to be surprised when suddenly the other girls make a surprised or shocked expression; something that she fails to understand until they turn to find Strawberry there. Strawberry came to request snorkeling equipment from Orange and she takes off, leaving Cherry to muse that she never learned to snorkel as the others offer to lend her a hand.Meanwhile, back at the Cafe, it is revealed that Strawberry wanted the snorkeling equipment in order to chop onions, as they tend to make her cry.
That following evening the girls decide to spy on Strawberry and they see her ironing a tablecloth. Blueberry thinks she is waxing a surfboard.
The next morning, Blueberry decides to practice her surfing skills when she suddenly hears Strawberry approaching and quickly hides everything to avoid suspicion. She pretends to have just been sitting around when Strawberry brings up something she had to do and was wondering if Blueberry could help her. She has been writing on an entry for a Magazine and has gone over it several times, but would like a real opinion and Blueberry would be the best berry girl for the job. She takes off afterwards to get some questions answered- leaving behind an upset Blueberry.Later Blueberry tries to tell the others about her mistake when she sees them trying on their new beach, summer oriented outfits that Raspberry made. She comes close until seeing how sad and confused they seem, so she accidentally makes a mistake in her wording, causing her plans to spiral out of control when they are led to believe the trip is still on. She tries to talk them out of it and get them to reconsider, but she quickly apologizes and runs off after seeing them get saddened again.
By now at Blueberry Books, Blueberry feels very horrible for the entire mess she's made and upon seeing Bosley Bookworm, she explains everything from the misunderstanding, to the lies she ended up telling. Before saying anymore she hears a strange sound and goes outside to see the girls Pogo-sticks, and they explain their plans to practice jumping for the upcoming trip so that they can try to reach any tall items that might come their way.
Orange suggests that Blueberry practices with them, and Blueberry tries to tell them the truth again but she lies yet again, this time claiming that Strawberry had to cancel the trip because of a big blue jay related problem. She also convinces them that the trip over to the island is very awful but this makes the other girls feel worse.Later, Bosley suggests that Blueberry just tells them the truth before this whole thing worsens, but she believes she won't have to tell them the truth now since they seem to have given up; at least until she hears another strange sound. She looks outside to find them now practicing something resembling sky diving, and they make her try despite her protests. As they load Blueberry into the device they built she once again tries to tell them the truth but struggles to before they fling her off into the distance and she lands on top of a large flower.
She tells them to just give up trying to rescue her, as she feels she doesn't deserve it now, but to her surprise she sees them flying on a bunch of blue jays to rescue her. They would never give up helping their good friend, no matter what.
It's then Strawberry shows up and questions what might be going on, but the girls all quickly lie. However, Blueberry does decide to be truthful to avoid a worse incident, and confesses to Strawberry and the girls what she thought she heard, and how the trip she assumed was being planned was actually an essay. She continues on to say how she told the other girls and kept making things worse every time she saw how upset they got. For a moment she feels better until seeing how sad they are again, but Strawberry is quick to bring up that other then the blue jays, everything the girls did is what could be put into her essay. She asks for their help in writing it and while she wonders if she should give up, she is lent a hand by Blueberry when the others have fallen asleep.
She recalls how the girls sang together when they came to her rescue earlier and they decide to make the essay a song entry instead. So the following day, the girls return to the Cafe to record their song and send that in to the Magazine running the contest.
Later, it is revealed the girls won the first prize: A trip to an Island Resort.
- Blueberry: (after crashing) I'm okay... mostly...
- (Blueberry is tied to a catapult. The other girls get ready to launch her)
- Cherry: We'll take this flying thing a step at a time, Blueberry. We want you to start small and work out to total and complete free-fall!
- All: (cheering) Free fall!
- Blueberry: Free fall? Must I?
- Lemon: It's for the vacation.
- Blueberry: Oh... the vacation... (sighs) yes.
- Cherry: Now remember: baby bounces. Just little tiny baby bounces.
- (Blueberry is catapulted into the sky)
- Blueberry: Whoa!
- Plum: Maybe we tightened those a little too tight.
- (Blueberry lands on a flower)
- Blueberry: HEEEEEEEEELP!
- Lemon: What do we do?
- Raspberry: I don't know!
- Plum: Think of something!
- Strawberry: Thanks for not giving up Blueberry.
- Blueberry: Well... I had some inspiration...
- Blueberry: I really gotten myself into a pickle.
- Bosley Bookworm: You're... inside a pickle?
Blueberry learns a lesson in eavesdropping and lying to others to spare their feelings. Rather than believe Strawberry had been planning something, she could have spoken to her to find out what was really going on, or kept it to herself to wait and see what came from it.
Meanwhile, she also realizes that while wanting to spare a friends' feelings may seem right, lying to them to cover up wrong information or bad news will only end up hurting them way worse later.
The Berry girls showed that obstacles - real or imaginary - can be overcome, with some creative thinking.
- This was Blueberry's first episode of Season 2.
- It was also the first episode of the new year.
- Bosley's first speaking appearance in Season 2.
- And the first episode the girls perform the song "Sunshine Girls".
- This is the second and last episode whose title includes Blueberry's name, following "Where oh Where has my Blueberry Gone?" (unless "A Basket of Blue Berries" was to count).
- The title is a pun on the proverb "no man is an island".
- When jumping on a Pogo-Stick, the helmet Blueberry wears has hearts on it like the other girls' helmets. The helmet she puts on later on lacks the heart design.
- Blueberry carries a stack of fourteen books at the beginning, and drops them all on the ground. She picks up four, and drops at least two while running away from Strawberry's Café. If you look closely, by the time Blueberry reaches the bridge, there are seven books between the bridge and the point where she originally dropped the whole stack - although she did not pick up that much. Also, the combined number of the books in the two stacks and those Blueberry carries is less than fourteen.
- All of the Bluejays the girls rode on had their wings flap in sync, except for Orange's.